A berry mix has been withdrawn from the market across Europe after several people fell ill with hepatitis A in Hungary.
Two sizes of the Ardo Fruitberry mix were recalled after the hepatitis A virus was found.
Ten to 15 people in Hungary were hospitalized after eating at a restaurant and subsequent tests by a Hungarian laboratory found hepatitis A in a 2.5-kilogram bag of the berry mix. All the patients have already recovered.
The recalled 2.5-kilogram berry mix has a lot number 58622131 and an expiration date before May 2024. 1-kilogram packages with lot numbers 58622130 and 58622131 and an expiration date before May 2024 have also been recalled. November 2024.
Production in Poland
Ardo’s Fruitberry mix is produced and packaged by a subcontractor of the group in Poland.
Company officials said they are investigating the incident and a quality officer has been dispatched to Poland to find the root cause and determine necessary corrective and preventive measures.
Countries listed in a Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed (RASFF) notification as shipped affected product include Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Ireland, the Netherlands, Romania, Spain, Sweden and the UK.
Ardo said it had locked down current stock of the Fruitberry blend so it could be tested.
The affected items were primarily delivered to customers in the food service industry. All of them have been contacted to stop sales and have been told to destroy the product.
“We regret that despite all the precautions and care we take to safely and qualitatively grow, harvest and process our products, this incident has occurred and we are taking all necessary steps to further improve our processes to ensure that our products be safe at all. times. We apologize for any inconvenience to sick people and our customers,” the company said in a statement.
The time from when you are infected with the hepatitis A virus to when you get sick can range from two to seven weeks, and symptoms usually last less than two months.
Hepatitis A is spread when someone ingests the virus through close contact with an infected person or by having contaminated food or drink. Symptoms include liver inflammation, fever, poor appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle aches, and yellowing of the whites of the eyes and skin (jaundice).
(For a free subscription to Food Safety News, Click here)