Harvey Weinstein failed today to get his Los Angeles trial for multiple sex crimes delayed during the festival premiere and fall premiere of a film about the investigation into his decades of sexual abuse and assault.
At a downtown pre-trial hearing Monday morning, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Lisa Lench rejected a defense-led move to delay the start of the trial of the producer jailed in October for Maria. Schrader. she said. In a somewhat tongue-in-cheek scenario, the architect of the modern cut-throat awards campaign claimed that the marketing and publicity of the film based on the acclaimed journalism of Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey of the New York Times would hurt any jury of the City of Angels against him.
Judge Lench didn’t buy it and hit the gas for the start of jury selection on October 10.
“Harvey and his attorneys will be prepared for trial,” Weinstein’s representative, Juda Engelmayer, told Deadline after today’s LASC hearing. “The timing of the film makes it difficult to ensure a fair trial that is judged by the facts and not by the emotions of those who see the film or remember the weight of the book when it initially came out,” the New York-based publicist added. York. . “It’s another challenge and it’s not right.”
she said, based on Kantor and Twohey’s 2019 nonfiction bestseller from NYT reporters about how they cracked the Weinstein scandal story, will have its world premiere at the New York Film Festival next month. We hear the movie is still in post-production with a score by Nicholas Britell. The film, which stars Carey Mulligan as Twohey and Zoe Kazan as Kantor, opens at Universal on November 18 before Thanksgiving. Pic is executive produced by Megan Ellison, who shot several photos with Weinstein, including The master, killing them softly, without law other the great teacherr to name a few.
Facing 140 years behind bars if convicted in Los Angeles, sex offender Weinstein faces grand jury indictments of four counts of rape, four counts of forced oral intercourse, one count of forcible sexual penetration, plus one count of sexual assault by restraint and sexual assault in incidents involving five women in Los Angeles County over a nine-year period.
Initially charged and arrested for rape in May 2018 in the East after detailed disclosures by the New York Times in October 2017 in the decades of abuse and alleged assaults by Weinstein, the Oscar-winning producer was sentenced to 23 years in prison just over two years ago. by a Manhattan jury. After a protracted legal battle over jurisdictions during the heart of the Covid-19 pandemic, Weinstein traveled to Los Angeles on July 20, 2021.
Last week, Weinstein was granted the right to appeal his case in New York. Janet DiFiore, the chief judge of the New York State Court of Appeals, allowed 2023 oral arguments before the full court on whether the producer, now 70, received a fair trial in New York City.