Companies that specialize in storing classified documents are unwilling to get involved in the legal fight over former President Donald Trump’s storage of sensitive materials at his residence, the Justice Department said in a court filing Friday.
The special master tasked with reviewing the 11,000 documents seized by FBI agents has ordered the Trump administration and legal team to draw up a list of third-party vendors that could securely store the documents, which purportedly detail some of the most sensitive secrets in the world. government. .
Both sides were told earlier this week to have the list ready by the end of the day on Friday.
But the Justice Department said in a court filing that the sellers are simply not interested in the case. The department said it has contacted six vendors and only one expressed interest. Another supplier said he was not interested and four more had not responded as of Friday afternoon.
Attorneys for the department asked the special master, US District Judge Raymond Dearie, to give them until Tuesday to select a provider and sign a contract.
Until a secure vendor can be contracted, the government said, they cannot turn over materials seized from Trump’s residence to Judge Dearie.
They also asked to have until the end of next week to provide the vendor with the classified documents, saying the travel time, scanning, processing and hosting of the materials take longer than under the current schedule.
Government lawyers said Trump’s legal team agreed to the deadline extension.
In a separate filing, Trump’s team urged Judge Dearie to craft a set of strict penalties to prevent employees of the selected vendor from leaking details about the material to the press.
They said Judge Dearie should punish leakers by holding them in contempt of court “or any other legally available sanction the court deems appropriate.”