SAN MATTHEW, Calif. — A resident of a San Francisco Bay Area nursing home has died after being served dishwashing liquid as juice, the home said.
Three residents of the Atria Park Senior Living Facility in San Mateo, about 20 miles (32 kilometers) south of San Francisco, were taken to the hospital after they were served the drink on Saturday morning, KRON-TV reported.
“We have been working with local authorities who have informed us that a resident has passed away. Our sincerest condolences go out to the family,” Atria told the station in a statement.
The facility has furloughed the employees involved while it investigates, and the facility is also cooperating with authorities, according to the release.
Other details were not immediately disclosed.
However, Marcia Cutchin told KRON-TV that the dead resident was her mother, 93-year-old Gertrude Elizabeth Murison Maxwell.
Maxwell arrived at the hospital with “severe blisters in his mouth, throat and esophagus,” Cutchin said.
Atria told the family the substance was a “protein-eating alkaline cleaning solution,” he said.
His mother had dementia and was unable to feed herself, he said.
Maxwell leaves behind eight children and 20 grandchildren, his daughter said.